During this unprecedented time, the Hugo Good Neighbors Food Shelf is here to help our neighbors in need while also ensuring the safety of clients, volunteers, and staff. See below for additional information for clients, volunteers and how you can help.
Existing Clients (Clients who have received food from us between January 1st, 2020 and March 15, 2020)
- We are making the following changes effective immediately and until further notice.
- All monthly shopping and weekly produce/bread shopping will no longer occur.
- Instead, food will be pre-packaged with pickups scheduled online via the form below. The pre-packed food will include a two-week supply of food based on household size. Our goal is to include fresh produce/meats wherever possible, with the majority of the food being non-perishable.
- Clients can request a pre-packaged box of food every-other week.
- How to request food:
- Go to hugofoodshelf.org and complete this secure and confidential form.
- Enter in all required fields, especially contact information.
- You MUST enter your client ID when filling out the form online. This will be provided to you via email or phone by a food shelf representative. If you do not have this ID, contact us by phone/text at 763-607-6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select one date/time range that works for you—please submit the form at least one full day prior to the date you choose.
- Please note our hours have been shortened during this time:
- Mondays: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Tuesdays: 12:00pm – 3:00pm
- Thursdays: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- If you have any special requests, note them on the online form, i.e. Infants, gluten free, etc. We will do our best to accommodate.
- When you arrive to pickup food:
- The food will be listed with your client ID on the curbside (if it is not raining…if raining, then food will be distributed from the side door).
- Find a volunteer outside and provide them with:
- Your client ID (verbally)
- Show your driver’s license/government ID (just show them, do not hand to them)
- Provide proof of address, i.e. A utility bill (just show them, do not hand to them)
- Please take the food and load it in your car. If you need help loading your car, a volunteer can assist, but we are hoping most clients can self-load to reduce exposure.
- Can I request a food pack if I’ve already completed by March monthly shopping? If you have already conducted your monthly shopping, we ask that you wait to order a food pack until the first week of April. If you have an imminent need, please contact by phone/text at 763-607-6060 or email email@example.com.
- Will Kwik Trip produce/dairy cards still be distributed? Yes, we will work to include a Kwik Trip card for purchasing produce/fresh items with each food pack as long as funds are available. The amount may vary depending on funding.
- What if I need more food than what you are providing every-other week? Please contact us so we can work with you to help. Phone/text 763-607-6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Clients (Clients who have NOT received food from us since January 1st)
- We are here to help during this difficult time. To request assistance, please contact us via email email@example.com or text 651-528-6224. You may also call 763-607-6060. Please provide the following:
- Phone #
- Household size
- A brief description of your need
- With the changes to our operations, we are still in need of support and have worked to minimize the amount of contact between volunteers and clients.
- Please contact Colleen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or she will be contacting you to discuss how you can help.
- Any volunteers who are in at risk populations (i.e. Older adults or those with chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, or lunch disease) based on CDC guidelines should avoid volunteering.
How You Can Help
- Due to exposure risk, please do NOT bring food donations to the food shelf at this time.
- Donation bins remain available for purchased food at Festival in Hugo and Cub Foods in White Bear Lake. Please purchase food and leave in those collection areas.
- Financial donations are always needed and can be used to purchase food in bulk. Please donate online at hugofoodshelf.org/give or by mail at PO Box 373, Hugo, MN 55038. Make checks payable to Hugo Food Shelf. During this time, online donations are preferred to enable quicker processing.
- We may need additional volunteers, please go to hugofoodshelf.org/get-involved to provide your information and we will be in touch if we need assistance.
- Thank you for your support!